Monday, November 29, 2010

Looks like SOMEBODY'S got a case of the MONDAYS!

Well, after a short stint in camp, on the 24th of Nov I got a call from family to head home. After a few years of progressively failing health, my grandmother passed away at the age of 85. Of course we were all saddened to hear the news, but its been a long time coming, and we had prepared ourselves for the inevitable. Her passing means I have only one grandparent left, and his health is not that good either. Its odd, situations like this, rather than make me sad, tend to push me toward contemplating my own mortality, along with making me think and apriciate the experiences of someone who's lived for that long. My grandmother was born on a Saskatchewan farm in 1925. This means she lived through things I cannot even begin to imagine! She would have been 4 years old at the beginning of the great depression. At the age of 11 the first television broadcast began and at 13 was the first color TV broadcast. At 14 she'd have seen the start of WWII. At 25 the Korean war broke out and at 29 she'd have seen the start of the Vietnam war. She was 36 when the Berlin Wall was built, and the soviets launched the first man into space. At 38 she'd have seen the assassination of JFK. At 39 Civil Rights Act passed in the U.S, and Nelson Mandela was sentenced to life in prison. At 43 Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. At 44 Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, at 45 computer floppy discs were created, and at 47 the Watergate scandal happened. At 52 Elvis died and Star Wars debuts! At 53 John Paul became pope, and finally at 54, the year I was born, 1980, she experienced the eruption of Mount St. Helens and the assassination of John Lennon.

It makes me wonder, what incredible world events are in store for me. At my age, when she was 30, James Dean died and Disneyland opened.

Well, I guess I should get to work now, I hope to talk to you all again soon!

J

1 comment:

  1. Hi J,
    I'm very sorry to hear of the news of your grandma. :( I can relate to what you said because I've only got one grandparent left now and she's not in good health either so not much more time left with having a grandparent in my life. I enjoy talking to my grandma about her experiences because as you mentioned, the older generation experienced a lot in their lifetime.
    *big hugs*
    padme

    ReplyDelete