Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in." - Robert Orben

Well, its been a while folks! Good to see you all again! I'm sure you're all wondering, "where the heck have you been these past two weeks??"

I've been on vacation, people! And not just any vacation. The most relaxing, chilled out, calming, life centering vacation known to man!

I left work on Thursday July 29th, and headed West. I left my laptop at home, and made a vow to myself, that I wouldn't turn my phone on unless it was to take pictures, or an emergency.

I ended up in Tofino, on Saturday July 31st, and hopped aboard a water taxi. With a cooler full of water, beer, and food, a tent, and a crate full of camping gear, and landed on Vargas Island, about 45 minutes north of Tofino on my own private beach for a week. I had no communication to the outside world for the whole time. It was incredible!

I spent part of the week naked! Outside! Because in that whole week, the only person I saw was a guy who stopped off on my beach to grab driftwood for firewood for the winter! He actually lived on a different island nearby.

The only people I told where I was going was my roomies and my family, so if I wasn't back when I said I would be, they could come find me. But I had no issues. My only costs were supplies, gas to and from, and the water taxi. The island is free to use, and even though there were other people on the island, they were too far away to reach me without a boat, or a half day hike through the forest.

I feel like a new person. I had such an incredible time. I learned about the tide, I saw the stars, felt the salty spray of the ocean, and just enjoyed my time alone to read, think about life, and chillax.

When I left, I spent one day in Parksville on my way home, visiting some family, and I got home on Monday night. I spent yesterday doing laundry, and getting my crap together for work today and just reflecting.

I missed you all, but, I needed this more than you could know. I have a whole new perspective on things. I'm actually thinking about finding a job somewhere in BC and moving out there! I learned that even though I may not enjoy my job, but its not my whole life. I can enjoy what I do have, and where I live, without thinking work is the only thing in my life.

I missed ya'll a lot. What's new?

J

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful place to visit! I was there last year. I absolutely LOVE Tofino and the beach there. The beach is as nice as Hawaii's. :)

    I am a bit sad that we were not able to meet when you were down here. Hopefully maybe you'll consider moving and we can spend some time together. :)

    I'm glad you had a good trip and are well rested.
    Hugs,
    padme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds spectacular!! I'm really glad you posted pics, too, they helped me envision it. :) Really, that's a brilliant idea to just go off and have complete relaxation and fun without schedules or technologies or pressure. I'm glad to hear you recharged! Now I'm aching for a similar adventure/chillax time. I'm so going to have to do this sometime..:) Celine

    ReplyDelete